As a Firefighter you may be called upon to perform a variety of duties. They include but are not limited to: emergency calls, fires of all types, vehicle accidents, hazardous materials incidents, and a variety of customer service calls. You will also perform a number of non-emergency duties such as training of all types, fire prevention and education, public relations, maintenance of fire apparatus, equipment, and stations.
How Do I Start?
1. Complete an application and return to the District Administration Office at 2731 Hwy T Labadie, MO 63055. Applications are kept on file for up to 1 year.
2. Applications are reviewed by the Fire Chief when reserves are needed.
3. Oral interviews are conducted with Reserve Interview Committee and these findings are reported back to the Fire Chief.
4. After background check and internal checks are completed, applicant is sent for a physical exam and drug test.
6. The successful applicant will begin the orientation process which will include a orientation class.
7. Note: An applicant will also need to possess and maintain a healthcare provider card. Classes are offered throughout the year.
When can I drive the big fire truck?
You must first complete the FireFighter I & II Certification and have the basics down before moving the truck. After six months, successful completion of a driving class driving in all weather conditions and Basic Pump Operator Class, you will be (at the request of your Station Captain) released to drive the fire pumpers and tankers.
You can begin driving the smaller apparatus at the approval of your Station Captain and if you are 21 years of age or older.
When can I run blue lights and siren?
After you complete six months and a driving program, the Fire Chief will issue you a Blue Light Permit upon recommendation of your Station Captain,.